Strategic Investment: Tools & Resources
Tools & Resources
- Faith Community Nursing Demonstrates Good Stewardship of Community Benefit Dollars Through Cost Savings and Cost Avoidance, a tool developed by the team at Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals to demonstrate the impact of FCN’s on health outcomes.
- Return on Investment and Community Health Improvement, An Examination of the Role of Hospitals, by Dr. Kevin Barnett, from the Public Health Institute. Background paper prepared for the Health Services Learning Group, Loma Linda Meeting June 16, 17. This is an idea that seems to be obviously relevant in these times when every dollar is accountable. But applying ROI to mission and community impact is an emerging art with challenging implications. As you read this, you’ll feel yourself invited into dialogue with this draft offering prepared as a conversation starter. If so, you are reading it as it was written – an invitation to urgent learning.
- Collective Impact by John Kania, Mark Kramer, published in the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- The Triple Aim: Care, Health, and Cost by Donald M. Berwick, Thomas W. Nolan, and John Whittington
- Beyond the Numerical Tally: Uniform Standards and Lessons from the Advancing the State of the Art in Community Benefit Demonstration, Kevin Barnett, Dr.P.H., M.C.P.
- Big Med: Restaurant chains have managed to combine quality control, cost control, and innovation. Can health care? Atul Gawande, The New Yorker, August 13, 2012.
- Catholic Health Association releases Healing Communities and the Environment: Opportunities for Community Benefit Programs This document, published as a discussion draft in Spring 2012, encourages and informs health care organization leaders about ways to engage their organization and communities served around improving community health through environmental improvements. While environmental factors include the physical, social and economic environment in which we live, work and raise families, this document focuses on the physical environment, including the quality of our air, water, food and facility and public energy and chemical polices.
- Catholic Health Association links.
- Healing Communities and the Environment: Opportunities for Community Benefit Programs— encourages and informs health care organization leaders about ways to engage their organization and communities served around improving community health through environmental improvements. Download a copy
- Assessing and Addressing Community Health Needs– developed to help not-for-profit health care organizations strengthen their assessment and community benefit planning processes. Download a copy — revised June 2013
- The IRS Form 990, Schedule H: Community Benefit and Catholic Health Care Governance Leaders– A booklet that describes the IRS Form 990, Schedule H, what boards need to know about IRS reporting requirements, and why community benefit and tax exemption are important issues for Catholic health care. Download a copy